Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Panday takes on new battle

...starts foundation to fight for rights of the people
Published: 28 Nov 2010

http://guardian.co.tt/news/general/2010/11/28/panday-takes-new-battle

Dethroned from political office, Basdeo Panday is set and ready to take on a new battle. Unfazed by the changes that have followed his political career, the former United National Congress (UNC) political leader Basdeo Panday is vowing not to give up the struggle to improve the lives of citizens. His newest initiative is the launch of the Basdeo Panday Foundation.

It is a non-governmental organisation geared to protecting the rights of citizens, ensuring they are treated fairly by the Government. “My fight is to ensure people get what they are entitled to. I do not want anything from any Government,” he said. Speaking with Sunday Guardian at Rienzi Complex, Couva last week, where the foundation has been set up, Panday said his removal from political office has not deterred him from serving citizens.Proof of his new venture was evident during the interview as he was interrupted with phone calls from people seeking assistance or redress in certain matters.

It’s a move that may even take him to the walls of the courtroom if the situation arises, and Panday boasts of his readiness to don his legal gown. In fact, he is about to resume his career as an attorney with a practice.The objective of the foundation, he said, is to improve the lives of people. “Anybody, anywhere, of any political party, race, colour or creed, no matter who you are you can come to this office. I would try to help the best I can, having regard to the position I am in.

The fight is free

!“My political work continues just not in the corridors of Parliament but outside,” the 77-year-old Panday said with a quizzical look on his face.

Committed to fighting for the people

Insisting he has absolutely no interest in throwing his hat back into the political ring, Panday said as a former prime minister he felt he had a role or duty to serve the people.The jury is out on whether his foundation would be seen as a force to be reckoned with against the Government, but one thing is certain—the former leader is bent on not giving up.“I have no interest in ever holding the office of Prime Minister again. Politics has more than one dimension.

People think electoral politics has only one dimension and that is not true. I have no interest in electoral politics anymore but I will certainly carry on my political struggle out of Parliament. I probably would be stronger outside of Parliament than in.“Politics for me has also been a struggle to improve the quality of life for people. That was my greatest achievement when I was a trade unionist.

Over 100,000 persons came out of grinding poverty in the sugar industry. That was an enormous achievement for me and I am happy for that,” the former leader recalled, as he reminisced briefly on his public life.And, while Panday is bent on spending his energies fighting for causes he deems unjust, he is also using the opportunity to catch up on things he failed to pursue while in office. “I love reading. I have read so many books that I have lost count. I am also busy on the harmonium and learning different songs. When I was in school I did not like science subjects and would you believe I have developed a yearning to learn chemistry and physics now. I am very, very busy.”

People’s Partnership yet to impress

Refraining from commenting on political issues, Panday, however, said he was lost for words over how the party he fought to build had now become non-existent. “The UNC no longer exists in its form, it is there but the spirit gone. Its fight, commitment and willpower have gone. The UNC is non-existent. I thought when the People’s National Movement (PNM) went out of office there would have been changes, unfortunately I am still waiting for that change.

I have seen a lot of bad habits of the PNM being adopted. For, instance I am seeing where they continue to blame the PNM for everything; that is why people voted them out of office.
“Blaming the PNM does not solve anything. I am waiting for action, and quite frankly I am not seeing any. I do not mean to be critical but I am yet to see the change. I do not see any attempt to solve the problems for the people. I just do not see the tenacity,” Panday ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment